Here is a festive twist on the typical holiday side dish of Brussels Sprouts. This is a super quick and easy way to add a little pizzazz to your table.
The recipe starts with charring the brussels sprouts cut side down in a dry non-stick pan for about 5 minutes. This creates a hint of smokiness. Then they’re sauteed with a drizzle of olive oil, grapefruit sections, honey, salt and pepper to taste and topped with fresh pomegranate seeds right before serving.
I left the brussels sprouts fairly crunchy, so it feels like a warm salad. The grapefruit adds a bit of acid and the honey and olive oil are just enough to lightly coat them. The pomegranate seeds add a punch of color and some additional crunchiness.
You can make this a warm dish by serving immediately or reheating in the microwave, or you could just serve room temperature as well.
Charred Brussels Sprouts with Grapefruit and Pomegranates
- 10 each brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1 each grapefruit sections
- 1 each pomegranate seeds removed and set aside
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the brussels sprouts cuts side down in a non-stick dry pan over medium heat
- Cook for about 5 minutes to let them charr
- Add the olive oil and honey and saute for another couple of minutes
- Add the grapefruit and saute another minute
- Remove from the pan and add salt and pepper to taste and top with the pomegranate seeds
- Serve warm or at room temperature